Friday, August 22, 2014

Weekend wonderings: Dealing with change


This week, I felt overwhelmed. Our cleaning lady was not able to come last week, and after a week of having the flu, the home was starting to look like quite the disaster. I realize I am quite terrible at dealing with changes in our rhythm, and having the boys sick on top of everything else gave me this frustrated feeling in the pit of my stomach. This week, we hardly got any structured learning done, since Junior J wasn't well and just didn't want to do anything except lie down on the sofa. 

Homeschooling does call for a certain amount of flexibility: in your routines, in the way you manage things, since children change, and their needs change. Family rhythms change with the times too, especially with the addition of new members in the family. I sometimes struggle with the flexibility that is required. I am a chronic list and schedule maker, I like things predictable. When we are thrown off course because of circumstances, I tend to run about like a headless chicken. I've learnt that I need to be more flexible, and I think God has been teaching me that I must learn to let go, and keep trusting Him and doing the things that matter.

I've found that the best way to cope in such circumstances is to just keep plugging away at my to-do list, which gives me a certain sense of stability, and ensures I don't freak out. Today, I was most thankful because my parents helped me with the older two so that I could catch up with some chores. I managed to tidy up the home, our cleaning lady came, and now I am feeling a lot calmer. Whatever the case, I am just glad that the weekend is almost here!

What about you? How do you cope with changes? Are you like me, or do you embrace changes and spontaneity? 

3 comments:

  1. I don't deal with changes very well but if they are beyond my control, I usually take a really deep breath 1st and try to run with it. If not how? My children watches everything we do and how we react to situations like these. If we want them to embrace changes and spontaneity, we need to lead by example. Of course if I can't deal with it, I wait until the end of the day and unleash my complaints to the husband until his ears bleed. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some sort of routine too. That said, I've realised that over time, my routines have changed too!

    I'm the sort who cleans a little before the cleaning lady comes over!!!

    Hope everyone is on the mend now and I love your plates!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm exactly like u!! Hate it when life throws curveballz n things gets out of schedule. N unfortunately ppl around enjoys irritating me by taking their own sweet time as if i have all the time in the world. They just don't understand how much 5 min means to me. N how 10min makes a difference. That said, i think u r coping oh so well. At least u still can blog n make latch boards for the boys! Haha.. me? I'm just keeping afloat. The house? Sigh. . Think i shall work on getting a new place

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...