Monday, August 18, 2014

Monday Made: My little pony (Or, how to make a baby horse hood)






When I read that the awards ceremony was going to have a derby theme, I thought it'll be fun to let baby J have something horse-related to wear! We had this old brown t-shirt that has been worn by both the older boys, and I thought I could decorate the hood to make it look like a horse. 


A quick search on Pinterest yielded me photo after photo of crocheted horse hats that were really cute. I cannot crochet to save my life, so I eye-balled some of the pictures, and cut out shapes from Daiso felt (thankfully, I managed to find black and white felt in the cupboard, since this was a last minute project!). 


The muzzle was just a semi-circle cut from black felt. I added a white rectangle above that for the forehead. The eyes were just black and white circles, while the nostrils were buttons. These were hand-sewn down (gosh, the stitches were so messy!), since I thought I could make wide stitches which would mean poking less holes in the material.

I then added ears by cutting black felt into triangles, folding them into cone shapes and sewing them down. Then I added a shock of hair at the forehead by cutting a long narrow rectangle and sewing it down in the middle, and trimming the felt into strips.


Finally, the mane was just a large black rectangle that spanned the length of the back of the hood. It was sewn down the middle, then I just trimmed the whole sheet of felt into tiny strips.


Hand-sewing was a little tedious since I'm not good at it... but I did find it rather therapeutic sitting there slowly sewing, and seeing the horse take shape. I loved how baby J looked in it. Now I have a problem: I can't bear to take off all the felt, so I'm not sure how I'm going to wash this!

8 comments:

  1. Don't take off the felt. Let this costume stay the way it is - it looks fabulous!!! Place it in a laundry net and throw into the washer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looked absolutely adorable in the hoodie! *melts* Keep the hoodie as is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! And congratulations you won the best family blog!! You are absolutely no 'Auntie' but a capable domestic engineer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another creative master piece from you! Love it 😄

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hand-sewn? Sooo seamlessly done, beautiful! And once again, congratulations for the winning=).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone! And haha, my concern was that the colour in the felt would run. I'll try hand-washing, fingers crossed! :)

    Dragonfly: I like the term domestic engineer. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...