Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Thankful Tuesday: Love in every language


My parents tagged along with us during our recent trip up to Penang to visit the in-laws. It has been a long time since we've travelled altogether, and our car was packed to the brim! Travellling together had its joys and good things, like the boys being able to hang out more with porpor, and my parents having time to catch up with the in-laws. But like with every family, there were times where patience can run low and personalities can clash. 

We got home today after 12 over hours of being on the road. Traffic was slow going back, since many were headed back to KL or JB after their Lunar New Year break. The house was in disarray, since we left it in a mess as we are still in the midst of decluttering. Just thinking of all the things we needed to do left me feeling rather overwhelmed: having to stock up on groceries, settling various shop matters, getting the boys back to their regular homeschooling routines, folding all the piles of laundry that I didn't have time to fold before leaving, preparing for co-ops and the week ahead. It got me thinking how blessed we were, since my parents would usually help to stock up on some groceries, and help with various chores when we go overseas, except this round they couldn't, since they were travelling with us. 

There are many a times I catch myself looking at family with a critical eye, being upset about so-and-so doing this or that. And then I am reminded about how the language of love can be spoken in so many ways, and how sometimes others just cannot speak in the love language that we expect them to. For one, love might be buying random gifts. For another, it might be the gift of helping hands, or eyes to watch over the kids. While we sometimes chafe because our expectations are not met, we know that we can definitely find love in the midst of us... if we would just pause to find the grace to accept it. 

So today, as I sit amidst piles of half-folded laundry, which might have been folded by my mum who just cannot stand a mess of a laundry pile had she been around in SG to do it... I am thankful. Thankful that we can haltingly offer up love in various ways, and accept love in various ways. Thankful that we have family that love us, and show us that love in different ways. Thankful that we were all made different and unique and special. What are you thankful for today?


Mum in the Making

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful for my parents and in laws too who step in to help when we needed time to clean the house before CNY and also to go for a much awaited date night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful to be able to spent time with my loved ones back in my Ipoh hometown during CNY. And yes, our car is also packed to the brim with 2 kids in tow. Happy "Yan Yat" to everyone !!

    Jessl

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...