Monday, September 10, 2012

Conversations: Before and after

In July, blogging mothers from Singapore shared their stories on how being a mother has changed them (read their stories here).  This month, we will be hearing more from them about their journeys through motherhood.

Today's post by Jacqeline made me smile.  It's funny how our conversations change after the arrival of the little ones!  Jacqeline is a full time working mum of two kids, aged one and two.  Like her life, her blog centers around her kids nowadays, and charts their growth, the books they read and the activities they do together.

~~~~~~~

When MamaJ posted up a request asking for mommies to contribute posts about how motherhood has changed them, I gamely signed up for it.  I thought this is a topic that I have been wanting to do, and its such an easy topic.  But after reading through the different posts from the mommies in July, I realize its actually not so easy to write after all.  Its not that there is no changes in me, its just that there are so many that I do not know where to start.  And mostly the changes are similar to what the other mommies have written.  But a promise is a promise.  So I'm just going to try my best in writing this post.  Hope you all will enjoy reading it!

Spontaneity
Before the kids came along:
Chubby: Come lets go fly kite.
Me: Huh? Don't want lah. Very hot outside. I want to stay at home to sleep.

After the kids came along:
Chubby: Come lets go fly kite.
Me: Great! Something for the kids to do.

Activities
Before the kids came along:
Chubby: Lets go Marina Bay to fly kite on weekend.
Me: Marina Bay very far leh.

After the kids came along:
Me: Shall we bring the kids to Marina Barrage on the weekend? To play with the water and fly kite?

Weekend
Before the kids came along:
Chubby: What shall we do on the weekend?
Me: Sleep at home? Watch TV?

After the kids came along:
Me: What shall we do on the weekend?
Chubby: ...
Me: What?! You mean you have nothing planned for the weekend? I must go find something for the kids to do.

Shopping
Before the kids came along:
Me: Dear, I'm taking leave tomorrow to go to Mango sale.
Chubby: Ok

After the kids came along:
Me: Dear, I'm taking leave tomorrow to go to the Crazy Toy sale at Taka.
Chubby: Ok
Me: I will call you if I need you to help ferry me back with the toys.

$$ Savvy
Before the kids came along:
Chubby: Dear, there is a discount for the tissue.
Me: Ok, buy lor.

After the kids came along:
Chubby: Dear, there is a discount for the diapers.
Me: So how much does it cost per piece? (Whips out phone and start calculating). Hmm, there are days with better discount. I think we wait.

Couple Time
Before the kids came along:
Chubby: You want to watch "Harry Potter"?
Me: Ok. This weekend?
Chubby: Ok.

After the kids came along:
Chubby: You want to watch "Harry Potter"?
Me: Ok. Friday?
Chubby: Ok
Me: Ok, I go take leave

After the kids came along, our life centered around them.  From weekend activities to shopping, its always for the kids.  Couple time is rare and very treasured.  We also try to stretch our dollar, just so we can have more savings for the rainy days.  All the changes are for the kids, and we just hope to provide the best within our limits.

1 comment:

  1. Heh heh! I would take leave to have a "kid-free" day too. My single/married with no kids yet colleagues would always think I was a lil cuckoo. But how else to have some time off? Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...