Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Thankful Tuesdays: The great outdoors


Junior J and I met up with friends at the Botanic Gardens yesterday, and spent an hour or so walking about collecting specimens that we wanted to examine under a microscope. They had a lovely time, just running about on the grass, poking at stuff with sticks, picking up little flowers, and spotting ants and dragonflies. 

We ended up with a lovely collection which we brought over to another friend's place to admire...


... and I think one of the prettiest findings of the day was an almost perfect leaf skeleton, delicate and lace-like.


I think that children really need time outdoors. Not time spent jostling in the supermarket, or at the mall, but time to just run free on the grass. Time where they can roam, and enjoy the wonders of God's creation. I know our two boys love their mornings, when they get time to just potter about picking leaves and throwing twigs about. These are the times when fighting is minimal (no need to fight over dead leaves, since there are so many about), and laughter is plentiful. However, I admit I've been rather reluctant to bring both of them out because of the heat (gosh, pregnancy really turns up your body temperature by a couple of degrees I think!) and exhaustion. Our morning out in the gardens just reminded me of how we really need to get out more to enjoy our green spaces... and I'm thankful that we have these pockets of nature to enjoy around us!

What are you thankful for this week?
Mum in the Making

6 comments:

  1. That leaf skeleton looks amazing! So intricate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We love finding these pretty things under the bushes. So delicate that I'm always worried the boys would crush them!

      Delete
  2. I am thankful for that afternoon we spent looking at specimens of nature :) It was refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! And it was really great chit chatting with all of you while the kids played. Catch up again soon!

      Delete
  3. Next time we'll join you guys for sample collection! :) The leaf skeleton is really lovely. I was quite disappointed that Noey didn't want to keep it. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, do come! Then we can go hunt for more leaf skeletons!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...